7/14/08

Wait

The diameter of the umbrella could not cover my entire body in this August rainy day when I was waiting for the most beautiful girl in my life. The rain did not bother me as much as the small drops of water that dripped down from the edge of my umbrella. The time was about 3:30 pm or may be 4.00 pm I really don't remember and am not bothered, OK but the time actually was 4:00 pm. What actually were bothering me were the rain drops.


I was sitting on a bench at the jogger’s park looking away at the rain drops ending their life when they touch the ground. Not that I was interested to do all this but I had to kill my time until she comes. I did not want to show her how upset I was waiting and thinking about her, so I wandered my mind looking and thinking about things that absolutely made no sense at all.


I saw a beautiful little girl may be 7 or 7.2 years of age. She was wearing a very cute pink color skirt and a transparent rain coat over it, which actually made her add another adjective... “Sweet”. I looked at her with a hope that I will have a cute little, sweet little daughter sometime.


Since I was not wearing a water resistant watch, I resisted my urge of looking at my watch for time. But I was sure the time was somewhere around 4:05 or 4:07 pm.
Everything over there reminded me of her. The bench, how we sat there for hours together with our group. I made every possible move to sit right beside her. She actively participated in getting me a place beside her. She had a purse that looked more like a Genie's pocket. I often wondered does she carry her Refrigerator in that. That cousin of a sumo wrestler was always kept besides her and it would make way only for me.


This was our first meet in monsoon. The dripping rains, sweet smell of earth, cute children playing and setting sun were all romantic but for me it felt like my patience was put to test.


Waiting for this long had always been for a bus before but this was heights. The time was passing on and there was absolutely no sign of her. Waiting any longer would have been waiting for more than eternity. My pulses were raising high. This romantic scenario changed all of a sudden. The small girl now no longer looked cute and sweet... What a spoilt brat I thought. The benches were now taking a toll on my back. My Trousers were all wet below the knee level.


I made up my mind that I would not talk to her unless and until she comes with a better explanation. I would shout at her and I really needed to shout at her. Instead of taking her for a movie I would take her to a book store and get some books with title "Time Management", "Time is money", "Respect time" or may be "The art of making it on time". My thoughts were taking a ride in the wrong direction without my permission. I even doubted her intensity of love for me. "How can a girl make a guy wait in this rain for so long?” Instead of taking her out to a restaurant I would take her to a golf club. Make her sit while I finish up with 18 holes or maybe I watch a ball game and she watches me. My thoughts were getting wilder and wilder. I felt like going home and giving her a ring and ask her to wait for me. I got little insane. I simply could not think anything correct but it was for sure that I would not spare her life no matter what.


A taxi stood at the gates of the park. I was not sitting far away from it. I saw a girl getting out of it half drenched in rain. She could barely manage herself with her umbrella and her bag.... her bag oh! My god, that’s her that's my love. The time now was somewhere around 4:12 pm and I saw her getting out of the cab now at this hour. I had been waiting for her since long. I saw her face only after the cab left and she covering herself under her pink umbrella. She was wearing a pink salwar kameez. Oh she looks beautiful in whatever she wears. I was lost in her eyes for some time. All of a sudden the world seems to look like an Eastman color movie and most of the things in slow motion. Her curious eyes were hunting for me. I could see her eye brows meeting each other or rather exchanging rain drops with each other. Finally her eyes found me. Her entire body responded to her eyes discovery. But I had made a mind set no talking to her and I was very angry about her coming late. I decided not to go for the movie with her. No ... I will keep my dignity. Now she was walking towards me. I wondered should I even bother to smile at her? Oh come on you can walk faster my mind thought. How cute it looked when she passed across these children playing in the rain. She looked one like them. But my decision would not change about the movie. She came closer and................. She smiled......


The movie was beautiful.

6 comments:

13thRandom said...

This is by far one of the best descriptions of the emotional turmoil of a guy waiting for his girlfriend.

The description is very vivid and you can picture yourself in that rain in that park. You can almost hear those raindrops. The picture you have painted is really beautiful.

Very original and really and I can actually imagine you having gone through this at some point in your life. Wonderful writing brother!

Latika Paithankar said...

That was a fantastic narration of your thoughts buddy. You have beautifully expressed how you felt waiting for your girlfriend in the rain. Honestly it makes a very interesting reading especially for a girl like me...i remembered the n number of times i have kept my boyfriend/friends waiting...n am feeling horrible about it now.

Deepthi said...

Was this a piece of reality or fiction???
Either ways it was beautiful.....

Do write more often ..plz...

Anonymous said...

Your personal account could have fared superb with proof reading. Nevertheless,you have brought out the nuances of your emotions beautifully.Very palpable...

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this web page is actually working hard for his web page, for the reason that here every stuff is quality based stuff.


my homepage - www.bestin.pl

surya said...

Beautiful narration.I could actually get a perfect picture of each and every nuance.Moreover, the way you modified the climax and ended up in suspense...that was awesome